BREAKING NEWS: The Illinois Supreme Court declined to reconsider its 4 to 3 decision disqualifying the redistricting reform amendment from the November ballot. READ MORE HERE >>>
Independent Map Amendment's first television commercial:
To help support this ad, please consider making a donation here.
Need a primer on redistricting?
This informative and entertaining explanation, courtesy of CHANGE Illinois, explains Everything You Need To Know About Redistricting. Click on it. Learn. And then subscribe HERE for occasional updates about the Independent Map Amendment.
The Independent Map Amendment will create a system where the voters choose their representatives instead of the representatives choosing their voters.
By adopting the Independent Map Amendment, the redistricting process in Illinois will:
- Produce Illinois House and Senate districts drawn without regard to incumbency or partisanship;
- Attract more candidates for the General Assembly and more competition for legislative seats, resulting in more choices for voters;
- Protect the voting rights of racial and ethnic minorities and prohibit drawing maps that dilute or diminish the ability of racial or language minority communities to elect the candidates of their choice;
- Respect communities with shared interests and avoid breaking through political and geographic boundaries; and
- Allow the public to view and participate in redistricting. Illinoisans deserve legislative elections where issues are debated, candidates listen to their constituents and voters have choices.