Editorials and Commentaries
1–25 of 93 items | Next »
Remap: Illinois reformers can keep losing to the Democratic machine. Or ...
- The Chicago Tribune Editorial Board, Sep 2, 2016
- Backers of a remap amendment appeared to have all their teeth intact, but it was clear at a Wednesday news conference they had been kicked in the mouth.
Once again, machine politics won. Voters…
State independent map amendent ruling effectively outlaws citizen-led reform
- The Time (Small Newspaper Group), Aug 30, 2016
- “The Constitution is supposed to protect the people from tyranny. Instead the entrenched political ruling class is now using that very document to silence the voice of democracy.”
Victory came 1 vote short; don’t give up on redistricting
- Saukvalley.com, Aug 29, 2016
- One vote is all that stood in the way of the Independent Map Amendment being approved by the Illinois Supreme Court for placement on the Nov. 8 ballot.
Government for the politicians
- The News-Gazette, Aug 28, 2016
- Aug. 25 — a Thursday — was a dark day for the state of Illinois, and that's putting it in the least disturbing words possible.
Keep pushing for anti-gerrymandering reform
- Chicago Sun-Times, Aug 28, 2016
- Last week’s Illinois Supreme Court ruling that knocked an anti-gerrymandering constitutional amendment off the Nov. 8 ballot was a big setback for democracy in our state, but reformers…
System rigged against voters
- Northwest Herald, Aug 28, 2016
- The Illinois Supreme Court last week allowed the redistricting process to remain rigged by effectively killing a voter-led attempt to change the way in which legislative district boundaries are drawn.
Fair maps shouldn't be victims of partisanship
- The State Journal-Register, Aug 27, 2016
- The majority seems to be setting the bar so high for ballot initiatives that it's almost impossible for a citizen-led effort to succeed.
One vote invalidates 563,974 in Illinois
- Belleville News-Democrat, Aug 27, 2016
- “The Illinois constitution is meant to prevent tyranny, not to enshrine it,” Justice Robert Thomas wrote in his dissent.
We must not surrender to Illinois 'tyranny enshrined'
- QConline.com, Aug 27, 2016
- It’s easy in Springfield to back major structural and ethical reforms when you know your party’s legislative leaders will ensure they never are called for a vote, legislative…
After remap decision, might as well make Mike Madigan king
- Crain's Chicago Business, Aug 26, 2016
- The Independent Maps campaign raised millions of dollars and collected nearly 600,000 signatures. It had more than enough support to have earned a chance to present its idea to voters in November.
Supreme Court's Democratic majority sides with Madigan on redistricting. Surprise!
- The Chicago Tribune Editorial Board, Aug 26, 2016
- Illinois Supreme Court Justice Robert Thomas had some choice words for four colleagues who joined in a ruling that knocked a citizen-driven redistricting amendment off the Nov. 8 ballot:
Voters, take back your state
- Chicago Tribune, Aug 26, 2016
- A half-dozen states have given ordinary citizens, not politicians, the power to draw legislative boundaries, which plays a big role in who gets elected every two years. It's a shame Illinois can't…
Editorial: Who’s financing the fight against fair legislative maps?
- Chicago Tribune Editorial Board, Aug 10, 2016
- The People’s Map, a political organization formed to fight against independently drawn legislative maps, has not disclosed any contributions or expenditures on the forms it filed with the…
Jim Dey: Tight schedule requires quick ruling on amendment
- The News-Gazette, Aug 6, 2016
- With their backs pressed firmly against the wall, advocates of a proposed state constitutional amendment to end legislative gerrymandering in Illinois are fighting a two-front war to keep their…
Editorial: Unstacking political deck a card at a time
- The Dispatch / Rock Island Argus, Aug 4, 2016
- The latest effort, an Independent Map Amendment proposition supported by more than half a million Illinoisans, now sits before an Illinois Supreme Court we fervently hope will look at it with fresh…
Editorial: Supreme Court should allow Illinoisans a vote on remap reform
- Sauk Valley Media, Jul 28, 2016
- The Illinois Supreme Court was entirely correct to allow an emergency motion for direct appeal last week on a Cook County judge’s ruling that knocked the Independent Map Amendment off the Nov.…
Editorial: One last obstacle for the Independent Map Amendment
- Chicago Tribune, Jun 26, 2016
- The volunteer army fighting for a fair redistricting process beat the deadline for submitting its petitions with more than 100,000 signatures to spare and passed the validation process with flying…
Editorial: A breathtaking dereliction of duty
- Peoria Journal Star, Jun 2, 2016
- Readers may be tired of hearing about it, but the Independent Maps amendment, if it makes the November ballot, would be the most important decision before them, which is saying something if the…
Editorial: What you can do to promote healthy competition in state elections
- Chicago Sun-Times, Jun 2, 2016
- With luck, a proposal to change the way legislative districts are drawn up in Illinois will be on that November ballot, and we cannot urge you strongly enough to vote for the reform.
Editorial: Pats on the back for Independent Maps
- Rockford Register Star, May 31, 2016
- . . . Illinois voters should get to choose their politicians rather than the other way around.
Editorial: Reformers win huge battle, enlist to help win remap war
- Moline Dispatch and Rock Island Argus, May 31, 2016
- If you haven’t joined the fight, please commit to doing so today.
Editorial: Forget 2016 Illinois budget, maybe 2017
- Belleville News-Democrat, May 29, 2016
- November would be a good time to place blame on the lawmakers who have allowed this impasse to grow the state’s deficit to a projected $10 billion. November is also a good time to approve the…
Editorial: Signature win for maps plan
- Champaign-Urbana News-Gazette, May 26, 2016
- The effort to put a constitutional amendment on the fall ballot to end the rigging of state legislative elections has passed a big test.
Editorial: Citizens deserve right to vote on map amendment
- Bloomington Pantagraph and Decatur Herald & Review, May 24, 2016
- Illinois government needs a ton of reforms, but this is the one that would make the most difference.
Editorial: A new party
- Peoria Journal Star, May 15, 2016
- Perhaps then Illinois will have a prayer of getting back on the right path. Perhaps then Illinois will have elections again that are not effectively rigged. It is almost impossible to believe that…
1–25 of 93 items | Next »